This Gamescom Rise of the Tomb Raider demo features stealth and skirmish combat, plus a few lovely tombs
A few weeks ago, Crystal announced projected release dates for the PC and PlayStation versions of the game. We now know that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be out on Windows 10 in early 2016. PS4 gamers will have to wait until late 2016, a full year after the November 10 Xbox debut.
In an interview with The Examiner, Phil Rogers, Square Enix CEO for the Americas and Europe, acknowledged fans' disappointment with the Xbox exclusive, saying, "I hope fans know that it wasn't an easy decision. I think any sort of partnership at this level is a decision that took a long time for us to get to. The decision at a studio level, we took very, very seriously. We knew it would, in the short-term, disappoint fans." He also emphasized the "passion" Microsoft has brought to the game's development. Rogers clearly wants fans to understand the level of support and exposure Microsoft brings to the table, though it's still unclear whether his—and Microsoft's—enthusiasm will carry over to the fanbase.
In a separate conversation with Gamespot, Rogers let slip that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be part of a trilogy that began with the TOMB RAIDER reboot in 2013. This comes as no surprise to fans who've followed the games. Lara Croft is clearly on an extended journey of self-discovery, and the ancient mysteries she is investigating will not easily fit within the framework of a single game.
Gamescom exclusive Rise of the Tomb Raider screenshots
For more info check out these links and visit the Rise of the Tomb Raider page on Tombraiders.net.
- Game Director Brian Horton talks player choice, combat, and tombs at Gamescom (video)
- IGN: ROTTR Gameplay Walkthrough with Brian Horton (video)
- IGN: Gamescom 2015: I Raided A Tomb in Rise of the Tomb Raider (article with video)
- The Examiner: Square CEO on Rise of the Tomb Raider Xbox One exclusivity & Microsoft's passion
- Gamespot: Rise of the Tomb Raider Follow-Up Teased, Not an Xbox-Only IP
- Gamespot: Square Enix Weighs in on Rumored Rise of the Tomb Raider Sequel